Local News - San Mateo
Twitter, a company located in the heart of one of the most tech savvy cities in the world, is bringing a bit of the past into its headquarters with a pair of century-old log cabins.
Yup, the company that revolutionized how we talk about what we're eating is installing homesteader cabins in its dining area. Mashable says the idea is to break up the big, open space into smaller rooms. (Via Twitter, Mashable)
Twitter contracted Lundberg Design to do the rustic makeover. The company has previously helped design other wood-centric elements in the social media giant's headquarters.
Renovating an office space doesn't typically call for "100-year-old wood" though. So why log cabins?
In an interview with the Marin Independent Journal, the design studio explained the decision, saying: "We've used the notion of the forest as a nice tie-in with Twitter and its bird logo. To me, the log cabins fit into that since, obviously, they're made from logs that come from the forest."
The San Francisco Chronicle notes that while the "cabins’ exact history is unknown ... Lundberg guessed they were from the 1870s and were originally used as residences."
Of course, it's not that unusual for a tech company to have... let's say interesting accommodations for its employees.
But so far Twitter is the only company we know of to go quite this old school.
Think you're a news junkie? Test your knowledge of national and international headlines with these five questions. Don't forget to tell us how you did in the comments below!
One Bay Area water district is considering an ordinance that would put limits and even ban some outdoor water use.
KTVU obtained an advance copy of the ordinance which the Alameda County Water District Board is scheduled to consider next Thursday, March 13th.
The ordinance details a broad list of restrictions, including a limit on lawn watering to one to two times a week for households, two to three times a week for parks, golf courses, schools, etc., depending on the season. It would also ban the refilling of swimming pools and the hosing of sidewalks and driveways. Washing cars would be allowed, but only with nozzles that instantly stop flow upon release of the handle. Other restrictions and exceptions are listed in the eight-page ordinance.
Anyone who didn't comply would receive a letter, then a visit, and could even have their water shut off or receive a misdemeanor charge.
Alameda County Water District officials say supplies are so low, there is cause for concern.
"About 40 percent of our water supply comes from the State Water Project which recently announced that agencies will get a zero percent allocation," .Robert Shaver, Alameda County Water District Asst. General Manager, told KTVU.
Another 40 percent comes from ground water, which is low, and the district buys 20 percent from San Francisco's Hetch Hetchy supply.
.At the Fremont Park Golf Course, water supplies will have a big impact on business and the recent rain has been a mixed blessing.
"It's a double edged sword. We need the water but it keeps customers away," said Dan Morley, the Fremont Park Golf Course Manager and Head Pro.
One golfer, 11-year-old Mika Jin of Fremont, was practicing in the rain at the driving range with her father Eugene Jin. They say they've been preparing for a tournament and the weather conditions have a big effect on the golf course and the technique she'll need to adapt to the conditions.
With the wet pavement and windshield wipers from the recent rains, drought isn't top of mind for many people.
The District's goal is to cut water consumption by about 20 percent or 9,000 acre feet. That's the equivalent of filling a pool the size of a football field, one and a half miles deep.
"If its drier next year, or the situation doesn't improve, we could consider rationing, but we're not there yet," said Shaver.
A public hearing is scheduled prior to the Alameda Water District Board's vote on Thursday. The meeting begins at 6p.m. and public comment is expected to begin at 6:45p.m. It will be held in the Board chambers at 43885 South Grimmer Boulevard in Fremont.
San Francisco is eyeing Seattle's recent preliminary vote to cap the number of cars companies such as Uber and Lyft can have on the road at any given time.
San Francisco supervisor Eric Mar says it's time to regulate these companies to improve public safety.
He's holding a public hearing to address the issue on Thursday at city hall.
In the financial district, one woman tells KTVU she uses Uber once a week.
"I would hit request. It would tell me its prime time. I could hit confirm and a ride will be here," she said as she showed KTVU has she used the Uber app on her smartphone.
But city leaders say convenience should not come without accountability.
The New Year's Eve accident in which an Uber driver struck and killed 6-year-old Sophia Liu led Mar to call for Thursday's hearing.
"We need to look more carefully at how to protect customers of these private companies," said Mar.
Uber has denied responsibility, saying the driver was not providing services at the time of the accident.
"Right now, we're going to use the hearing to understand what the state requires and what we can do locally to start to regulate this wild west of a new industry," said Mar .
The supervisor says there are 1,000 taxi cabs on the streets compared to the 3,000 vehicles that come from companies such as Uber and Lyft.
He says Seattle's move to limit each company to 150 vehicles on the road at any given time makes sense and San Francisco may eventually set limits .
"I don't know if it’s necessary or not at this point in time. It's still pretty new," said Kiri Morgan of San Francisco. .
Uber issued a written statement in response to Seattle's cap which says in part:
"This decision will put hundreds of small businesses out of work and leave them without an opportunity to earn a living."
"I do think that Sidecar, Uber and Lyft have added a lot to the city and have made things more convenient for people. There're pros and cons to the situation," said Sumedha Makker, who uses Uber.
"I'd love to see more regulation, if that's what we need to explore. I don't think it's a bad idea," said Rachel Brown who's considering using car services.
Lyft did not respond to KTVU'S request for a reaction to a possible cap and more regulations.
Supervisor Mar's office says it has received no response from Lyft and that Uber has not said whether it will attend Thursday's hearing.
Police are investigating a possible murder suicide at a San Francisco nursing home Monday night.
Officers were dispatched to do a welfare check at the Central Gardens Skilled Nursing Facility on Ellis Street at Laguna at about 8:15 p.m. Monday.
When they arrived they found two bodies, both deceased.
Officers say a preliminary investigation indicates a murder suicide.
The names and relationship of the two have not been released.
A pedestrian who was struck and killed by a car in a Fremont crosswalk early Monday morning has been identified by the Alameda County coroner's bureau as 71-year-old Pramila Bhachawat.
Police said Bhachawat, a Fremont resident, was walking south at the intersection of Washington Boulevard and Olive Avenue when a man driving east on Washington Boulevard struck her just before 6 a.m.
Bhachawat was pronounced dead at the scene.
According to police, the driver, a 49-year-old Fremont resident, immediately pulled over and called 911. He has reportedly been cooperating with investigators and there were no preliminary signs that drugs or alcohol were a factor in the crash.
This was the second major traffic collision in Fremont Monday morning. At about 12:15 a.m., police responded to reports of a suspected DUI crash that seriously injured a 4-year-old.
That crash, which involved a Honda Civic and Toyota Camry, was reported on Osgood Road between Blacow Road and Auto Mall Parkway.
A 33-year-old Fremont woman was driving the Civic south on Osgood Road when she veered into northbound lanes and slammed head-on into the
Camry, police said.
The woman had her 4-year-old daughter buckled into a car seat that was not properly secured to the vehicle, according to police. The girl suffered life-threatening injuries, and the woman suffered critical but not life-threatening injuries.
Officers said they could smell alcohol on the woman at the scene, according to police.
The driver of the Camry, a 30-year-old Fremont man, suffered minor injuries to his legs. He told officers that he had been drinking alcohol before he drove, police said.
Any witnesses to either crash are encouraged to call the Fremont Police Department's Traffic Division at (510) 790-6760.
Santa Clara Police are seeking the public’s help to find three men who robbed Santa Clara University students in two separate incidents early Saturday morning.
In the first incident, a student was approached by three men in the campus parking lot of Schott Field.
Police say the two of the three men brandished handguns and robbed the student of his wallet and cell phone.
Thirteen minutes later and a half mile away three other people were robbed by what police believe to be the same suspects.
The second robbery took place near the intersection of Park Avenue and Mission Street.
Police say the victims were approached by three men all pointing handguns. One of the victims was told to get on the ground where he was pistol-whipped in the face.
“I mean I was pretty scared,” said Santa Clara University senior Taylor Camany,”I was glad I was home with the doors locked and everything.”
Camany says she and her fellow students were alerted within an hour of the incident starting with text messages, then an automated phone call, and later by emails from the University.
The University is advising students to be aware of their surroundings and travel in groups at night.
Santa Clara Police have only a vague description of the suspects: 25 year old African American men. One was wearing a dark green jacket and the others black hooded sweatshirts and black baggy jeans.
A string of stores along Burlingame Avenue are hurting for business during a construction project aimed at revitalizing the downtown area.
Orange barricades and chain link fencing have sectioned off a portion of the street under construction between El Camino Real and Primrose Road. It’s the latest area to undergo renovations as part of the Streetscape Improvement Project by the city.
“It looks like a war zone,” said shopper Carmen Mayhood. “It’s not at all welcoming.”
The project broke ground last May and has been completed in sections, but as time passed, the remodel has kept customers away and merchant said they are taking a hit.
“I don’t think we knew it was going to be this bad,” said Joana Gutierrez.
Gutierrez owns Joana’s European Fashions and Accessories. Her store is filled with clothes she brings specifically from Paris. She said she has seen a 30 percent to 50 percent decrease in revenue since the start of the year.
“I don’t think you know until it’s actually in front of your store,” said Gutierrez. “There’s no foot traffic or places to park.”
Her neighbors across the torn up street are hurting too, like Le Croissant Café owner Calvin Wang.
“This construction has just been going on too long,” said Wang. “It’s totally a disaster.”
Wang said he has considered closing his store, because he too has seen his sales cut in half. He also said rent is too expensive for him to not be making money.
Many stores have changed their hours or closed their doors to public while the project is under construction.
Matt Zucca, a Streetscape project manager with EKI Consulting, said he is aware of the impact on merchants. He said there is light at the end of the tunnel because the project in on schedule to be finished by August 2014.
Plans include widening the sidewalks, adding more trees, and installing new furniture and lighting.
“The results are lovely, but it has kept us from shopping,” said Mayhood.
Merchants in a newly completed section of Burlingame Avenue said they are impressed with the improvements, but they feel for their neighbors still suffering from the construction.
“It will be great when it’s all done, but hopefully we’ll still be here when it’s all pretty,” added Gutierrez.
An 18-year-old man is in Alameda County Jail , charged with prowling, thanks to a Newark homeowner who chased the man down his street.
Herman Deo told KTVU on Friday night he was home with this family when he got a phone call alerting him to the fact that someone was in his backyard.
Deo says he checked the monitor on his security system and could saw a man trying to steal one of his bicycles.
Then he says the man tried to smash the window of his glass door with an air pump. That's when Deo confronted him.
"I opened the blind and said what are you doing in my backyard,” Deo said.
Deo, who says he is trained in martial arts, then followed the man out the backyard, and a foot chase began down Dalewood Drive where Deo lives, a chase that lasted for almost a mile.
“I wasn't scared, I wasn’t thinking straight. He is in my backyard, disturbing my privacy," Deo said.
The chase ended when the man turned onto a neighbor's side yard and Deo grabbed him.
“He said you are not going to harm me. I said I’m not going to harm you. The cops will take care of you," Deo said.
Police arrested Ruben Perez and charged him prowling and possessing stolen property. They say Perez had broken into a car in the same neighborhood earlier.
While officers applaud Deo’s courage, they advise against citizens chasing down suspects.
"We appreciate citizens getting involved. But what we want is for them to give us a call and let us take the risks. It's very, very dangerous," said Sgt. Manuel Deserpa.
"If he gets away today and hides in the bush the cops won't get him. And he'll do the same thing again," said Deo.
Deo's wife told us she wished her husband hadn't chased the man, but more importantly she’s thankful no one got hurt.